DPAC is pleased to announce the finalists for the Triangle Rising Stars Virtual Showcase and Awards Show. Part of the National High School Musical Theatre Awards® (NHSMTA), this special free event will take place virtually on May 20, 2021 at 7:30 PM.
This year, over 100 students from 37 local high schools submitted applications in the hopes of being selected as a Triangle Rising Stars’ Top 20 finalist.
The Triangle Rising Stars Virtual Showcase and Awards Show recognize the outstanding achievements of talented local high school students. The Top 20 Finalists will perform qualifying songs for a chance to earn the title of Triangle Rising Stars Best Actor and Best Actress.
As the official Central and Eastern North Carolina qualifying event for the National High School Musical Theatre Awards®, the Triangle Rising Stars Best Actor and Best Actress recipients will each receive a $1,000 scholarship and be invited to attend the virtual National High School Musical Theatre Awards (NHSMTA®) this summer.
“This unique year for Triangle Rising Stars has shown us that there are some true benefits to offering a virtual experience, including that the program is now more inclusive than ever,” said Megan Rindoks, Community Engagement Manager at DPAC. “We are seeing many new faces of students who have not previously been eligible to participate because their schools do not produce musicals each year, and it has been a pleasure seeing the wide scope of their talent. We cannot wait to watch our finalists shine virtually this May.”
TRIANGLE RISING STARS BEST ACTRESS FINALISTS:
· Ansleigh Reid (Rose, Dogfight, Heritage High School)
· Elena Holder (The Witch, Into the Woods, Durham School of the Arts)
· Hanna Richman (Christine, The Phantom of the Opera, Raleigh Charter High School)
· Kate Ragan (Kathy, The Last Five Years, Wayne School of Engineering)
· Madison Barrier (Alyssa, The Prom, Penn Griffin School for the Arts)
· Symoné Spencer (Shug, The Color Purple, Enloe High School)
· Trinity Turner (Aida, Aida, Heritage High School)
· Valentina Fernandez Escalona (Nina, In The Heights, Apex Friendship High School)
· Vivian Waye (Woman 2, Edges, East Forsyth High School)
· Whitley Lynn (Wednesday Addams, The Addams Family, Franklinton High School)
TRIANGLE RISING STARS BEST ACTOR FINALISTS:
· Alex Lim (Paul, The Theory of Relativity, Cary Academy)
· Christian Bartney (Donkey, Shrek, Millbrook High School)
· I’zaah Gray-Jones (Jesus of Nazareth, Jesus Christ Superstar, RJ Reynolds High School)
· Jackson Donahoe (Radames, Aida, Heritage High School)
· Joshua Messmore (Laurie, Little Women, St. David’s School)
· Ryan Gregory (Gordon Michael Schwinn, A New Brain, Enloe High School)
· Sawyer Bowers (Randall, Bring It On, Heritage High School)
· Tate Mahar (Crutchie, Newsies, Holly Springs High School)
· Thomas Halik (Usnavi, In The Heights, Heritage High School)
· Will Wakeford (Pippin, Pippin, Athens Drive Magnet High School)
The Triangle Rising Stars Virtual Showcase and Awards Show on May 20th will be hosted by Triangle native and singer/actor, Clay Aiken. The 20 finalists will be featured in a group performance, as well as a medley of individual performances where each student will showcase his/her own solos. The 2019 Triangle Rising Stars Best Actor, Ben Eble, and Best Actress, Haven Bowers, will also perform a special duet.
This year, the Top 20 Finalists will be adjudicated at the Virtual Triangle Rising Stars Showcase and Awards Show by an esteemed panel of guest judges with Broadway experience, including Lisa Jolley, Dirk Lumbard, Yolanda Rabun, and Clay Aiken. These Broadway veterans have a vast combined repertoire of work that includes Hairspray, The Music Man, On Your Toes, Barnum, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Today, Aiken, Jolley, Lumbard, and Rabun are all dedicated to supporting arts education and inspiring the next generation of theater professionals.
For more information about the Triangle Rising Stars Virtual Showcase and Awards Show, visit: http://www.dpacnc.com/trs
For more information about the National High School Musical Theatre Awards®/Jimmy™ Awards, visit: http://nhsmta.com