As Durham celebrated its 150th birthday, an explosion rocked the city.
The explosion took place shortly after 10am at 115 North Duke Street when a contractor hit a gas line leaving one dead and 17 injured. The building was home to Prescient Co Inc., Kaffeinate coffee shop and Main Street Clinical Associate.
A separate GoFundMe has been set up for the Lee family. Mr. Kong Lee, owner of Kaffeinate, was killed in the explosion. You may donate here.
Do you know how to recognize a natural gas leak? Follow these tips from PSNC Energy:
- An odor that smells like rotten eggs
- Unusual noises coming from gas equipment
- Dirt or debris blowing in the air
- Persistent bubbles from wet areas on the ground
- Vegetation/weeds near pipeline appears discolored or dead
If you smell natural gas or notice these signs, leave the area immediately. Do not attempt to find the leak. Do not turn on or off any electrical switches. Do not use telephones.
Once outside and at safe distance, call 911 or (877) 766-2427
For the latest updates on the explosion, visit abc11.com.